Are *any* games as popular as World of Warcraft?

Reece Dunn msclrhd at
Mon Oct 1 15:31:49 CDT 2007

On 01/10/2007, Dan Kegel <dank at> wrote:
> On 10/1/07, Reece Dunn <msclrhd at> wrote:
> > Searching Google is only really useful around the time of release
> > (with a suitable time window either side).
> If that were true, I would expect World of Warcraft's google
> search curve to have flatlined long ago, but instead it's
> still going strong.  What's driving all those queries if not
> user interest?

Sure. My comments were generalisations that apply to most games.

> I certainly agree that other sources of data will show
> things that Google query history doesn't, but that
> huge signal for WoW has to mean something.

Definitely. I have had a look at the search trend you gave a link to
and WoW is consistently (abnormally?) high. I'm sure that the number
of hours played (per user, per day, per week) is high as well... and
the number of breakups as a result of this!

- Reece