Phoronix: Ubuntu 7.10 + WINE vs. Windows XP

Stephan Rose kermos at somrek.net
Sat Oct 20 08:05:00 CDT 2007

On Sat, 2007-10-20 at 09:51 +0000, L. Rahyen wrote:
> On Saturday October 20 2007 09:28, Stephan Rose wrote:
> > On Sat, 2007-10-20 at 09:21 +0000, L. Rahyen wrote:
> > > But I think there is some people with dual boot configuration and modern
> > > PC who has some games to test and enough free time to compare the results
> > > between Windows and Linux.
> >
> > I can go ahead and try to install Supreme Commander and see if I can get
> > it updated to the latest version. The auto-updater uses the .Net
> > Framework so that makes it a little difficult.
>
> 	For .net support in WINE you can run "winetricks mono12" (you can get
> winetricks at http://kegel.com/wine/winetricks ). Anyway, testing the latest
> version of the game isn't very important, only important thing is to test
> same version of the game on Windows and WINE.
>
> > But, it has a performance test / benchmark mode I could run to do some
> > comparisons.
> >
> > Stephan
>
> 	It would be great. Don't forget to provide information about hardware
> configuration used for testing, version of WINE and video drivers along with
> FPS on Linux and Windows.

Hardware:

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz
4gb 800MHz DDR2 4-4-4-12
Wine Version: 0.9.47
Video: nVidia 8800 GTX
nVidia Driver Version Linux: 100.14.19
nVidia Driver Version XP: 162.18

Windows XP SP2 32-Bit Score: 16901
Ubuntu 7.10 64-Bit Score: 15996

Both performance tests were done with equal graphics settings at
1024x768.

On that note, I noticed that ReplaceFileW still isn't implemented as
it's not possible to safe a profile under Supreme Commander. Wasn't
there a patch for this? I distinctly remember that because I was going
to implement that function until I saw someone else had already
submitted a patch with an implementation. What happened with that?

Stephan