The Spouse Test

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Sun Sep 23 02:44:06 CDT 2007

When will Wine be good enough for the average person to use?
One test is, "Is it good enough to let your spouse migrate to Linux
from Windows?".
My wife's must-have app list is roughly

Microsoft Office '97
Adobe Photoshop Elements 1
Ulead PhotoImpact
Macromedia Dreamweaver 8
Musicmatch Jukebox 8
FamilyTreeMaker 2006

And you know what?  All of those basically work
except for Photoshop Elements.  They need some
cosmetic work, and a native DLL or two, and probably a few
obscure bugfixes, but I think that's it.
(I didn't test Office '97, since I expect she'll be using Crossover
for that, as Codeweavers tests that app pretty well.)

It's possible that by this time next year Wine will pass this test for me.
- Dan