DInput mouse - where to go from here?

Stefan Dösinger stefandoesinger at gmx.at
Thu Sep 27 11:03:23 CDT 2007

Am Donnerstag, 27. September 2007 17:23:42 schrieb Vitaliy Margolen:
> Stefan Dösinger wrote:
> > 1) Multiple Mice. If there are 2 mouse devices, the X server manages them
> > and combines them to one core pointer. These configurations are pretty
> > common, for example on laptops with touchpad + usb mouse.
>
> This is true, each mouse will have it's own device. However I have never
> seen a single person who used 2 or more mice while playing games <g>
I do

That's the great thing about laptops, at least when playing Battlefield 1942.
You can keep an aircraft controlled with one hand, but for serious fighting
you need the real mouse. Imagine a LAN Party, running bf1942, some pizza next
to you. With the thumb on the touchpad and the WASD keys, you can take off
with a plane and steer to the battle, while the right hand is free to grab a
glass or some pizza. Yes, it makes the keyboard and mouse oily and there's a
risk to poor liquid over the laptop, but it works with the current dinput
code :-)

> Not true. That's what so great about evdev driver - it's unified.
> Everything is handled by the kernel, and we get common interface to things
> like axis movement and buttons. I have tested this with USB and PS/2 mouse
> - works properly in each case.
Should all mouse types create a event device node? Maybe I've done something
wrong on my new laptop. On the old laptop, the touchpad had such a node, on
the new one it doesn't.