Wine application compatibility

Roderick Colenbrander thunderbird2k at gmx.net
Sun Sep 30 05:41:15 CDT 2007

> On Saturday 29 September 2007 10:34:19 am Roderick Colenbrander wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Every Wine release more and more programs start to work on Wine. A
> serious
> > problem is that not all programs can work out of the box. Some games for
> > instance need the windows version to be set to Windows 95 or it will
> crash.
> > Other games like Medal of Honour need their OpenGL extension string
> trimmed
> > to get it to work on cards which support a lot of OpenGL extensions.
> There
> > are dozens of more examples like that.
>
> The majority of Wine's options are settable via the registry and can be
> given
> app-specific overrides. So how about wineprefixcreate creates registry
> entries for specific apps that are known to need special settings?
>
> Just need to be really really careful that an app needs the change, and
> that
> it's not due to a bug in Wine or something.

Yep wineprefixcreate should handle this and I think in combination with winecfg. One issue that I see is that an executable name is not unique. In case of games if multiple ones are using 'game.exe'  then there is a problem. For AppDefaults you can type the whole path but you don't know that in advance.

I fear that for executable some sort of md5sum needs to be stored (there might be something like that already in the app in the form  of a product code or so) for purposes like this. We should check how microsoft handles this. Anyway I think that support in the wine loader is needed.

Roderick