Unwanted WM_CTLCOLORSTATIC notification

Matt J polesapart at gmail.com
Fri Aug 15 05:50:09 CDT 2008

Hi,

I've been trying to debug a problem with Adobe Indesign CS where the
application crashes while creating the file open dialog box.  Now I believe
(not 100% sure) I have tracked down the problem to a spurious
WM_CTLCOLORSTATIC notification.  This notification is generated when the
application invokes WM_SETTEXT to change the caption of a 'group box'
control control in the dialog box.

To verify this I coded up a small test case, which I have attached to the
email. This basically creates a new dialog box and when it receives it
WM_INITDIALOG notification it calls SendDlgItemMessage to send a WM_SETTEXT
message to set the text of a 'group box' control on the dialog. As it runs
it logs the notifications that it receives.

On windows we see the following:

  Message: 0x00000030 (48)
  Message: 0x00000110 (272)
  WM INITDIALOG
  Message: 0x00000127 (295)
  Message: 0x00000128 (296)
  Message: 0x00000018 (24)
  Message: 0x00000046 (70)

Under wine we see:

  Message: 0x00000030 (48)
  Message: 0x00000110 (272)
  WM INITDIALOG
  Message: 0x00000138 (312)
  Message: 0x00000018 (24)
  Message: 0x00000046 (70)

Of primary interest to me here is the WM_CTLCOLORSTATIC notification
(0x00000138) that is generated only under wine.  Also of interest is that
WM_CHANGEUISTATE (0x00000127) and WM_UPDATEUISTATE (0x00000128)
notifications are received under windows but not wine.

This is my first foray into debugging wine, so I may be totally off track
here, but I do believe that the WM_CTLCOLORSTATIC notification is what is
causing InDesign to crash.  So, I am wondering if someone with more
experience here can give some advice about rectifying this problem.

If I can provide any more info about the problem, please let me know.

Regards,
Matt