winecfg volume serial number

Michael Ost most at museresearch.com
Thu Dec 18 14:31:26 CST 2008

wine-devel-request at winehq.org wrote:
> Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 13:52:00 +0100 From: "Hoehle, Joerg-Cyril"
> <Joerg-Cyril.Hoehle at t-systems.com> Subject: winecfg volume serial
> number To: <wine-devel at winehq.org> Message-ID:
> <47CC5ABB01651443A88DB8EC5B4D657B01C8FD22 at S4DE8PSAANK.mitte.t-com.de>
>
> Hi,
>
> I just sent a bug-fix to wine-patches to prevent a crash in winecfg
> when editing the volume serial number input field, together with some
> unrelated thoughts about winecfg and the device/volume serial number
> handling. Then I realized that wine-patches is not a good place for
> discussion. So here are the ideas about winecfg's GUI:

It doesn't make sense to me to rely on writing to a file to set the
windows serial number or label. What about readonly disks?

I think those values should be in the registry. Or at least check the
registry should be a fallback if .windows-serial or .windows-label does
not exist.

I am stuck now because an installer program is looking for a CD of a
certain label. I can't fudge in the label because it's a CD that I can't
write to.

Is anyone working on this issue, or agree/disagree? ... mo