Implementing dxdiag as student project?

Roderick Colenbrander thunderbird2k at
Sun Dec 28 11:43:42 CST 2008

> On Sunday 28 December 2008 07:43:57 am Roderick Colenbrander wrote:
> > Native dxdiag is checking the name of the display driver which in our
> case
> > winex11.drv and I guess this is just the identifier of Winex11.drv.
> Inside
> > winex11.drv we don't really have the knowledge about the 3d hardware we
> are
> > emulating. In the end we might need to duplicate some card detection
> code
> > inside winex11.drv and show a real driver name like the Nvidia or ATI
> ones.
> > It would be a lot of work and only be worth if apps really need it.
> Are there any X functions that winex11.drv can use to get the strings used
> for
> a particular screen? Eg. in xorg.conf, I have:
> Section "Device"
>     Identifier     "Card0"
>     Driver         "nvidia"
>     VendorName     "nVidia Corporation"
>     BoardName      "NV80 [GeForce 8600 GT]"
> EndSection
> Section "Screen"
>     Identifier     "Screen0"
>     Device         "Card0"
> EndSection
> I can't imagine that being inaccessible by X apps.. and I believe I've
> seen
> some apps report this info. It's something gdi32/user32 can then get for a
> particular screen/adapter by calling into winex11.drv (if not also
> something
> wined3d can use), instead of reporting "X Windows" for the card name.

Those strings were just generated by the tool which created your xorg.conf. These fields are only internal to X. Some of the info can be obtained from X. For instance I requested support for pci id reading in the nvidia drivers and that was added recently. I plan to work on that early next year.

Sensationsangebot verlängert: GMX FreeDSL - Telefonanschluss + DSL
für nur 16,37 Euro/mtl.!*