Call for winetest ing

Paul Vriens at
Tue Feb 5 10:30:45 CST 2008

Jeremy White wrote:
> Okay, so I got winetest to do something rational, and now I'd like to see if it
> will work for someone else.
> It's easy!
> Just apply this patch to a current Wine tree:
> Then configure and make Wine as you normally would.  Then,
>   cd programs/winetest
>   ./runtests <your-tag-here>
> (The tag I used was jwhite-etch64; I think you should identify who you are,
> and then if you have multiple systems, your system within that).
> If you have winetricks in your path, it should be completely unattended.
> (If you don't, you'll need to hang around to click 'go' to the Gecko install
> dialog).
> After about 5 minutes, your test results should be run and sent up to
> The cron job runs every 5 minutes, so sometime after that, a reload of:
>   firefox`date +%Y%m%d`/
> Should show you your results!  Easy as Pi!
> There is still quite a bit to do.  First, I'm waiting for a 'real' winetest expert
> to wack me with a clue bat.  But I'll stumble along until the hammer falls...
> Second, I want to do a stupidity check and make sure that winetest
> essentially correlates to a make -k test run.  If they are not really identical,
> then we need to fix that problem...
> Next, I think we should probably shift the build-id from being the date to
> being the HEAD sha1, but that's a radical enough change that I felt I needed
> to start simpler and within the current conventions.
> But I'd really appreciate it if folks could try this and see if we can gather
> some data quickly.  In theory, we should be able to quickly see the common
> points of failure and know where to attack first.
> Cheers,
> Jeremy

The good thing about having the winetest from one
source( is that all the
output is actually from the same executable and it's easier to compare. If
people are using different build-id we will end up with a lot of directories
with single test in it.

Something we also have with the current tests is that the source files actually
point to the correct version in CVS. I now see some strange links to refs on

Even though the HEAD sha1 looks better than the date for a build-id it will
again introduce a lot of directories with only a few tests in there.

I don't see a problem with running the winetest executable under Wine the same
as I do under all kinds of Windows versions.

Just my $0.02