Do we need a forum?

L. Rahyen research at science.su
Mon Feb 18 19:19:57 CST 2008

On Tuesday February 19 2008 00:55:23 Steven Edwards wrote:
> [...]
> > in Google for example "WINE forum linux"); well, this is because there is
> > no official WINE forum currently... So most users who want to discuss
> > WINE related issues in a forum discuss them on general
> > Linux/distribution' forums.
>
> That was the idea in creating wine-forum. It would be one forum to
> bind them all so to
> speak. Currently wine discussion is fragmented across various forums
> in ubuntu, gentoo,
> Play on Linux, Winedoors, etc
>
> >         Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to read all such forums,
> > this is really too much "fragmented", this leads to some inefficiencies:
> > sometimes WINE related questions on such forums cannot receive useful
> > answer for a long time. Even worse, even if I find some question that I
> > can quickly answer on the forum, it is impossible to do so without time
> > consuming registration process. In fact there was some cases when I
> > searched for some WINE related issues, find someone's unanswered question
> > that I can answer quickly, but never find enough time and motivation to
> > register.
> >         This is actually the problem that should be addressed if we
> > decide to create forum. Registration shouldn't be required. At most (for
> > protection from spam bots), few digits from a small picture should be
> > entered by unregistered users before posting and that's all. As I said
> > earlier, it is also important to have ability to subscribe for all
> > messages from the forum otherwise (reliable) user support will be hard.
> > And there is a lot of other important issues... By the way,
> > http://wine-forum.org don't have these important features at all (just a
> > note).
> >         And of course, I'm able to implement myself everything I'm
> > talking above, with well looking design. But I will do this only if there
> > is demand in this... That is, if it would be decided to create forum I
> > will be glad to help, but if not then there is no point in creating of
> > something that is intended for the community and isn't demanded high
> > enough by this community. As I already said, I like mailing lists much
> > more than forums, so my opinion about usefulness/uselessness of the forum
> > is neutral. But I think it is useful to discuss this topic so right
> > decision can be made (create or not to create the forum, or find other
> > solution(s), or don't change anything at all) as a result of the
> > discussion.
>
> As I stated, we discussed this at wineconf and consesus was not
> reached. Dan wanted to use google groups, others want to keep mailing
> lists, while others still want to use the newsgroups. wine-forum is
> run by Tom Wickline who is a long time wine contributor so while I
> would support a better system that integrates with appdb and the
> winehq mainsite better, I am leery of yet another system if its not
> going to have someone or someones dedicated to maintain it for years

	Well, if I created something, I will be able to maintain it as long as it
useful. So this isn't a problem.
	Problem is that I don't see any kind of the agreement even between two
people - so it is very difficult (or even impossible) to really create
*official* forum in such situation... If agreement cannot be found, I think
best idea is to not change anything.
	Well, that's not that bad - personally I think WINE community and its mailing
lists (along with AppDB) are good enough for most users "as is".

> Also as I stated, I don't think appdb is covers every
> discussion topic unless you extend it to support distros, Wine forks,
> winelib application projects, etc.

	That's (almost) what I said in my message (its too hard too
implement + other issues mentioned by me and you) - so I agree with you.

> Tom is committed to doing this with
> wine-forum. If there is something you don't like, such as the
> registration, advertisements, etc I am sure he is willing to adjust
> the user experience.

	OK, then if he is reading this list hopefully he will consider my words as
feature request. If he really will fix these issues that would be great.
Thanks.