GSoC 2008 kickoff.

Kai Blin kai.blin at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 01:50:17 CST 2008

Hi folks,

Google announced the 2008 programme today and I wanted to use the opportunity
to talk about the next steps we should take to get ready.

I will start a separate thread to start collecting project ideas, presenting
the ones mentioned on the wiki page [1]. New project ideas are very much
welcome. If any of you feels like mentoring one of the projects, please
mention that. If you're a student with your own project idea, please mention
that as well.

We will then have to discuss if we believe the projects are doable in a Summer
of Code timeframe. When we talked about last year's projects on WineConf, it
was the common opinion that we didn't do a very good job on that for 2007. I
don't have a surefire solution for this, we should try being a bit more
conservative though.

I will add some more documentation to the SoC wiki page, does anybody have a
good idea what we could call the post-mortem analysis? I know this is a
correct technical term, but in my opinion it sounds a bit negative. Lacking a
better alternative, I'd call it review. Can the native speakers come up with
something else?

Maarten, you wrote a wiki page about your 2007 experience. Could you add it to
the "Helpful Links" section?

[1] http://wiki.winehq.org/SummerOfCode

Cheers,
Kai