GSoC project ideas

Kai Blin kai.blin at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 02:24:10 CST 2008

Hi,

as promised, I'll start off this thread with the ideas we have on the wiki
page [1] right now:

 * Implementing a WinePluginApi so other programs can use Windows DLLs inside
of Linux apps

* Improving our HTML/Win32 Help viewers.

* Implementing the ASIO audio infrastructure for Cubase

* Implement the MS Wsock dll (dlls/mswsock), an enhanced winsocket
implementation

* Valgrind and Wine integration (see: Wine_and_Valgrind)

* Complete the Wine Web browser (aka. Internet Explorer) ie. frame controls,
toolbar, status bar

* Full URLMoniker implementation. (IE working with builtin urlmon.dll)

* Implement transacted mode for OLE32 Storage (STGM_TRANSACTED)

* Improve cmd.exe compatibility

* Get Mozilla compiling as a Winelib application
(http://www.winehq.org/site/winelib#mozilla)

* Run the Mauve Java test suite against Sun's Windows JRE, and file bugs /
write test cases in C / fix anything it finds

* Run the MDAC conformance test suite against Microsoft's MDAC, and file
bugs / write test cases in C / fix anything it finds

* pick some real-world app or game that doesn't work well, and improve Wine so
it installs and runs the app better. (Some good examples might be Photoshop,
Visual Basic, a game etc)

* pick a Windows feature that is incomplete in Wine, and improve the feature
and its conformance tests. (Some good examples might be riched20, DirectPlay,
etc)

Feel free to add your own project ideas, maybe elaborate a bit on the
deliverables of the idea.

Cheers,
Kai

[1] http://wiki.winehq.org/SummerOfCode