[Fwd: Re: richedit: Store richedit version rather than boolean bEmulateVersion10 value]

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at sprintpcs.com
Fri Jul 4 18:53:44 CDT 2008

forgot to hit the Reply-All button...

-------- Original Message --------

Phil Krylov wrote:
> On 03/07/2008, Dylan Smith <dylan.ah.smith at gmail.com> wrote:
>  > On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 2:01 PM, Juan Lang <juan.lang at gmail.com> wrote:
>  >
>  > > Hi Dylan,
>  > >
>  > > -  if (!editor->bEmulateVersion10 || (editor->nEventMask & ENM_UPDATE))
>  > > +  if (!editor->dwEmulatedVersion || (editor->nEventMask & ENM_UPDATE))
>  > >
>  > > This change is incorrect, as dwEmulatedVersion is never set to 0.  I
>  > > believe you mean if (editor->dwEmulatedVersion > 0x100 || ...
>  > >
>  >
>  > You're right, that was a mistake.  Thanks for catching it.
>  >
>  > > I have to ask, though:  what bug does this fix?
>  > >
>  >
>  > This doesn't fix a bug, but it allows me to add functionality for
>  > msftedit.dll without changing the way riched20.dll works when loaded
>  > directly.  Without storing more than a boolean value it will be hard to
>  > support the multiple versions of richedit controls.
>  >
>  >  I would like to properly implement tables for richedit controls, which
>  > greatly differs in how it is implemented between riched20.dll and
>  > msftedit.dll.  Should I only worry about how it is done in the newer
>  > richedit controls?  I am worried that this will cause problems considering
>  > that amy program that loads msftedit.dll assumes that they are getting a
>  > specific implementation.
>

> IMHO no real applications depend on poverty of table functionality of
>  versions 2 and 3. If somebody finds one, we could think about it
>  then... To my knowledge, there is just one thing better in table
>  support of 2.0 than in 3.0 and IIRC 4.1: better breaking of long
>  tables on page boundaries when printing. But I consider it a bug in
>  versions >2.0 which we should not replicate (when EM_FORMATRANGE will
>  be supported).

I will look into this as time permits.  I am now on a three hour commute
for my present employment committment, which is through the end of
July.  I may be extended, picked up by the future company, discarded or
find employment closer to my domincile, or any combination.  I have
looked at Troy Rollo's code and it was current as of 0.9.59.  If someone
wants it, I can zip up the difference file and send it to them.  I can
also add it to the issue I was working with.

James McKenzie