Tricking program into seeing actual gfx driver not WINE's

Martijn Berger martijn.berger at
Fri Jul 4 11:53:25 CDT 2008

>* Hello All,
*>* We have run into an interesting problem while trying to get the latest
*>* version of Stanford's Folding at Home GPU client to work in Linux via WINE.
*>* The programs says it does not detect a compatible GPU. Even when the user
*>* has installed the correct Nvidia drivers (with CUDA support)  and has a
*>* compatible GPU. The problem I believe lies in  the fact that the program is
*>* not told that there is a Nvidia 8800 installed, instead by the nature of
*>* WINE it see that  "WINE" is the graphics card, as WINE first translate the
*>* direct3d calls into opengl calls that are then passed on to the GPU. So the
*>* question is, is it possible to trick programs into believing they are
*>* running on the right hardware? (As in fact they are).
*>* I remember a while ago the steam system spec survey was used to see how many
*>* people run steam via WINE. This was done by noting the graphics driver
*>* installed and how the wine one appeared when running WINE. Well this is fine
*>* but what we need is a way to make the program to see that it is actually
*>* running on Nvidia hardware. Because if the client would just start then the
*>* direct3d calls can be translated into opengl calls and the Nvidia linux
*>* drivers can then handle them and run it all fine and dandy.
*>* Here is the post, with error message about wrong graphics card detected,
*>* .

I think you would have to create wrapper dll's that pass the function calls
along to

The following libraries are in the CUDA download for linux.

I am unsure if you would need to modify more but I am pretty sure that
running the windows veersions of those dlls directly o wine is nto what you