How long does it take you to compile wine?

Dan Kegel dank at
Wed Jul 16 09:20:46 CDT 2008

On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 1:16 AM, Dan Kegel <dank at> wrote:
>>> ).
>>> Result: ... it takes me a bit longer today on this machine (11 minutes)
>>> to build as it did then on a dual cpu hot rod (8 minutes).
>>> I guess Moore's Law isn't quite keeping up with Wine's code growth :-)
> Details are on buried that page, but it's "-j3" for the dual core /
> dual CPU systems.
> I found a nice graph of Wine's codebase size over time:
> Looks like it's just about exactly doubled since that
> last measurement in late 2002.
has some recent wine build benchmarks:

Time to build wine-0.9.59:
quad core, -j 5:
QX9770: 182s
QX9650: 193s
QX6850: 200s
Q9450: 216s
Q6600: 251s

dual core, -j3:
e8400: 363s
e7200: 437s
e6750: 422s
e6600: 472s

Golly.  Maybe I should have gotten a quad core :-)

BTW, I just compared the e7200 and e8400 on the 'valgrind wine test
suite with -j2' task.
Results: e8400 is 18% faster (83 minutes vs. 99 minutes).
I'd love to try this on a quad core... maybe I'll find one at work and
give it a shot.