crypt32: String resource IDs

Michael Karcher wine at mkarcher.dialup.fu-berlin.de
Wed May 21 04:00:18 CDT 2008

Dear developers,

are the string resource IDs (IDS_*) in crypt32.dll supposed to be
compatible to the native Microsoft DLL? It looks like the strings wine
has starting at 1000 are based at 8000 in the crypt32.dll provided with
XP. Since SP2, crypt32.dll has extra strings (e.g. at 7501 and
following), which are not included in wine's version of the DLL.

The reason I am asking is that the native rsaenh.dll fails to load
because of failing GetStringW calls for crypt32.dll. It is supposed to
fail, or should wine be made more compatible.

In the latter case: How do we get string tables that are OK to use in
Wine? Surely it is not allowed to just copy them from the Microsoft
executable, but in the end, for 100% compatibility, we would have to
provide an exact copy. Is there any policy in Wine?

Regards,
  Michael Karcher