AppDB: More information about the test environment needed

Reece Dunn msclrhd at googlemail.com
Thu May 29 07:43:14 CDT 2008

2008/5/29 Groeschel, Volker <volker.groeschel at sap.com>:
> I just found two conflicting reports for  Age of empires:
>    http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=10326
>
> Both are on Ubuntu 8.04 and 1.0-rc1. One is Silver, one is Garbage. But it
> is just one example.

Going with AoE, I have recently tried this with the same setup (except
for using 1.0-rc2). I haven't submitted these results yet as I need to
verify them on a clean setup without any "fiddling".

Installation:
I1.  wine /media/cdrom0/aoesetup.exe works, but running the game gives
a "no CD in drive" error;
I2.  wine "d:\\aoesetup.exe" also works, and does *not* give a no CD error.

Therefore, you can get it to work without any configuration adjustment
or cracks.

Running:
R1.  wine "c:\\program files\\...\\aoe.exe" causes an error about
failing to detect graphics card (see one of the threads on the forum
for more information);
R2.  cd $WINEPREFIX/drive_c/Program\ Files/... && wine aoe.exe works perfectly;
R3.  wine winefile and then double clicking on aoe.exe also works perfectly.

There is the black text (difficult to read!) bug noted in the test
results comments.

I suspect that the Silver rating is I1+R2 and the Garbage rating is I1+R1.

> My suggestion is to ask for more information about the test environment.
> It is quite hard to get real informaltion on this topic.

I think that may help in some situations, and would be good for
collecting information for use in bug reports, but I don't know
exactly how useful it will be. In this instance, it *is* possible to
get a good experience from the game, but you need to know the quirks
of that application.

I am going to write up the above once I have verified it on a clean
WINEPREFIX with no fiddling. Therefore, for me I'd rate it Gold, with
the black text on the mission objectives screen being the only thing
preventing it getting Platinum.

- Reece