Fixing crashes in Tests (OS version check)

Alistair Leslie-Hughes leslie_alistair at hotmail.com
Sat May 31 05:15:01 CDT 2008

Jeff Latimer wrote:
> James Hawkins wrote:
>> On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 11:18 PM, Alistair Leslie-Hughes
>> <leslie_alistair at hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've being investigating crashes that occur on Win98 when the tests run.  I
>>> have fixed a couple already which where trivial. When I attempted to fix the
>>> snmpapi tests, I have found that i will end up removing alot of tests (~
>>> 17). If I add a check for the windows version, I can skip the tests that
>>> will crash, also there is already tests with if(0) around them. What is the
>>> policy about checking the version of the OS before running certain tests?
>> Version checks are not allowed.
> Is this actually a sensible policy?  As Windows version age (Win95
> arrived 12 years ago in 96!) there are going to be more and more
> incompatibilities with later versions.  Windows is not backward
> compatible.  Apps built for Vista are not guaranteed to run on earlier
> versions and the Windows api moves along.  The upshot is that Wine tests
> must be dumbed down (ie. we accept multiple results (Win95 and above) or
> we delete the test).  The outcome is that we don't actually know what we
> are testing as Wine could be producing results for XP, Vista, W2K but it
> tests ok.

Hi Jeff,
	I agree with you. We don't really know if a test gave the correct
value, just it whether passed or failed, but I can live with that.

I want to see a excellent coverage of tests for each feature that wine
implements (no matter what win version).  But having to dump down the
tests to support the lowest common windows isn't going to achieve this.

Maybe the policy could be changed to allow version checking if it they
is more than one OS that crashes due to single particular test.

Best Regards
  Alistair Leslie-Hughes