[2/3] ntdll: don't treat DOS paths starting with / as Unix paths

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.org
Wed Apr 8 10:54:03 CDT 2009

Luke Benstead <kazade at gmail.com> writes:

> This is probably a really dumb question... but why does wine support
> UNIX paths? What is the circumstance where a Windows application will
> be trying to access a native file or directory? The only example I can
> think of is that an app has specifically been written to be used in
> Wine, in which case, shouldn't native UNIX paths be disabled by
> default, and perhaps turned on with an environment variable?

It can be used anywhere an app uses a user-specified path without
mangling it too much; admittedly that doesn't happen very often, apps
like to mangle paths. There are also places where Wine itself depends on
it, to support things like "wine ~/foo.exe" or to allow Unix paths in
some registry entries.

These are all things that could probably be reimplemented in a more
reliable fashion, for instance by using \\?\unix instead of relying on
the path detection heuristic. Once this is done properly everywhere,
then maybe the hackish way could be removed.

Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.org