[2/3] ntdll: don't treat DOS paths starting with / as Unix paths

Luke Benstead kazade at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 11:09:27 CDT 2009

2009/4/8 Alexandre Julliard <julliard at winehq.org>:
> Luke Benstead <kazade at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> This is probably a really dumb question... but why does wine support
>> UNIX paths? What is the circumstance where a Windows application will
>> be trying to access a native file or directory? The only example I can
>> think of is that an app has specifically been written to be used in
>> Wine, in which case, shouldn't native UNIX paths be disabled by
>> default, and perhaps turned on with an environment variable?
>
> It can be used anywhere an app uses a user-specified path without
> mangling it too much; admittedly that doesn't happen very often, apps
> like to mangle paths. There are also places where Wine itself depends on
> it, to support things like "wine ~/foo.exe" or to allow Unix paths in
> some registry entries.
>
> These are all things that could probably be reimplemented in a more
> reliable fashion, for instance by using \\?\unix instead of relying on
> the path detection heuristic. Once this is done properly everywhere,
> then maybe the hackish way could be removed.
>
> --
> Alexandre Julliard
> julliard at winehq.org

That sounds like a far better way of doing it. Perhaps though, if that
method was implemented, passing a program path directly into wine
(wine ~/foo.exe) would be a special case (without a \\?\ prefix). From
a users point of view that's what I'd expect, as you haven't yet
started the application (and entered windows land :) ).

Luke.