do ERR messages imply bugs?

Vitaliy Margolen wine-devel at kievinfo.com
Sun Apr 12 15:05:16 CDT 2009

Roderick Colenbrander wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 12, 2009 at 6:53 PM, Vitaliy Margolen
> <wine-devel at kievinfo.com <mailto:wine-devel at kievinfo.com>> wrote:
>
>     Vincent Povirk wrote:
>     > Chris Ahrendt filed a few bugs recently for "err" messages encountered
>     > during test runs  (17997 and 17998 at least).
>     >
>     17997 is a bogus report - Gecko is not intalled. Nothing actually
>     failed.
>     17998 is the same. Only I let our resident 3D gurus to respond. I
>     don't see
>     any problems with tests testing invalid conditions. This most likely
>     one of
>     those cases.
>
>     If Chris doesn't like err messages, he can shut them off.
>
>     Vitaliy.
>

> The first ERR line in bug 17998 could indicate a real bug as a program
> is trying to lock a surface which has already been locked.
>
> err:d3d_surface:IWineGDISurfaceImpl_LockRect (0x132280) Surface already locked
>
> I'm not sure about the opengl error. It could mean that some display
> driver is offering some render_type flags which I'm not handling yet.
> That can also cause issues.
>
> err:wgl:get_render_type_from_fbconfig Unknown render_type: 0

This is all well and good, but I'm seeing this errors from pretty much any
3D application. Not that all these 3D apps work flawlessly on Wine to begin
with - haven't seen one yet. But it's been a policy to ignore all messages
from Wine until user can show the real problem. So far no tests fail - and
that is the only acceptable "problems" from tests.

Vitaliy.