Changing the language that wine runs in (testing language versions of dialogs)

Paul TBBle Hampson Paul.Hampson at
Tue Apr 21 03:53:41 CDT 2009

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 08:26:53AM +0100, Reece Dunn wrote:
> Hi,

> Looking at, it has
> winecfg from wine 1.1.19 running in Spanish. The screenshot shows that
> the static text is wrapped over 4 lines, but the text is clipped
> (should be 8x4 dlus high). This is not the issue reported there, but I
> would like to fix it and improve the layout.

> So, how do I change locale? Especially from a just-built version of Wine.

> I have tried:
>     LANG=es ./wine winecfg
>     LANG=es.UTF-8 ./wine winecfg
>     LC_ALL=es ./wine winecfg
>     LC_ALL=es.UTF-8 ./wine winecfg
> and
>     export LANG=es && ./wine winecfg
> variants.

For me, LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.utf8 switches Wine to operate with Japanese
codepage for font rendering and selection.

See dlls/kernel32/locale.c for general POSIX locale to codepage mapping,
and gdi32/freetype.c for nls_update_font_list which maps code pages
to fonts for the Windows UI fonts which vary between countries.

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, B.Sc, LPI, MCSE
Very-later-year Asian Studies student, ANU
Paul.Hampson at

Of course Pacman didn't influence us as kids. If it did,
we'd be running around in darkened rooms, popping pills and
listening to repetitive music.
 -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989