configure: Detect and use tools executable extensions for makefiles.

Dylan Smith dylan.ah.smith at
Thu Aug 27 09:37:10 CDT 2009

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 10:02 AM, Alexandre Julliard<julliard at> wrote:
> Any decent shell should be able to run apps without .exe suffix on
> Windows.

There is no problem with running something with an exe suffix, it is
the Makefile rules that are causing the trouble.

For instance, when building a program, this seems to be invoked:
$ gcc   ../../tools/wrc/wrc.o   -o ../../tools/wrc/wrc
which naturally leads to undefined functions from this type of linking.

This seems to be caused by the rules:
$(RC_SRCS:.rc=.res) $( $(RC_SRCS16:.rc=.res): $(WRC)
that originates from

If this is a regression, then maybe this should be approached
differently to return the old behaviour.

Similarly my other patch wasn't created because of a problem with
running an .exe, it was the problems with explicit checks for
executable file:
winegcc: Find winebuild.exe instead of winebuild on windows.

Perhaps the checks in the winegcc's spawn function are the problem in
this case, and should be removed or enhanced to deal with this case.

I can do some regression testing to find the commits at fault, which I
may be able to identify with git-blame, but will take some testing to
be sure.