Tango Icons (Almost) Ready to Go!!

Joel Holdsworth joel at airwebreathe.org.uk
Thu Dec 31 08:44:04 CST 2009

On Thu, 2009-12-31 at 11:34 +0100, Alexandre Julliard wrote:
> Joel Holdsworth <joel at airwebreathe.org.uk> writes:
>
> > My final question is about what to do with my source artwork. The
> > artwork has been collected from a variety of sources. Some is SVGs, some
> > gimp .xcf.bz2s, and some plain PNGs. I guess these shouldn't go into the
> > wine source repo, but does anyone have any bright ideas where these
> > files *should* go? They'll need to be published in case the icons ever
> > need to be changed in any way.
>
> Ideally they would all be SVG, we already have the infrastructure for
> that, and for regenerating the icons from it. Though I don't know how
> that would work for low bit depths, it probably needs some makefile
> work.

Yes - I agree. However, I don't think it can work. It's really only the
32-bpp and 32x32 and 48x48 that can be generated from vector. The rest
have all had at least some pixel work done. Some are completely done in
raster. This is a reality of making icons; like hinting a font there's a
lot of manual intervention at small sizes and low depths. That's one of
the reasons it's taken so long to make the set.

To make matters worse, a few of the icons were *acquired* as pngs or
xcf.bz2s, which means I have no svg to begin with. It's all a very mixed
bag.

Complicating things further, I've found two bugs in icotool, which means
that I have to run the compiled icons through my own icon tweaker
program that fixes up the problems with the file (I've contacted the
original author about the problem).

For this reason I think the best thing would be for me to tidy up my
project directory and upload it as a tarball somewhere. There's enough
source material there so that someone could come and adjust the icons -
even it's not as elegant as having it tied into the build process.

Another question: When the time comes, what would be the best way to
submit the icons? I have 36 patches each of which is going to be many
kilobytes. Will the wine-patches mailing list take such large
attachments? Would it be easier to send you a git pull request from my
gitorious repo?