GSoC 2009 coming up

Kai Blin kai.blin at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 00:46:30 CST 2009

On Tuesday 17 February 2009 04:41:11 Brian Vincent wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 2:39 AM, Kai Blin <kai.blin at gmail.com> wrote:
> > We should also investigate possible changes to the requirements (weekly
> > reports to the mailing list come to mind). Maarten, any comments?
>
> My gut instinct was weekly reports would be a bad idea for students - of
> course they're just going to procrastinate until the last month and then do
> all the work at once.  Yes, Kai, I realize you were the exception to that
> rule.

That's not going to work anyway. There's a mid-term evaluation you're going to
get failed at if you didn't produce anything until the mid-term. :)

> Then my second thought was: "Hey, if this was the real world their manager
> would certainly be expecting progress reports.  Therefore mentors should
> too."   And, it makes for simple updates to include for WWN issues.  I
> think it'd be interesting to weekly or bi-weekly reports, but I think
> mentors will need to apply a little tactful pressure in order to get the
> status report updates.

My biggest motivation for requiring weekly status updates is that in the past
years I had a hard time following the GSoC projects I was not involved with
directly. At WorldForge, we required weekly reports to the mentor at first
and then decided that the weekly reports should go to the developer mailing
list. That kept everybody informed what was going on.

Also, if the weekly reports don't only include "that's what I did last week"
but also "this is my plan for the next week", students can get early feedback
if whatever they're planning to do next looks like a bad idea to some other
developer. It also helps integrating the students in the community, as
they're not only talking to their mentor.

Cheers,
Kai

--
Kai Blin