OpenAL back-end: repost for reconsideration

Roderick Colenbrander thunderbird2k at gmx.net
Mon Jan 19 10:26:38 CST 2009

> After STALKER: Clear Sky failed to generate viable sound output using
> the existing drivers (in GIT head as of a few days back), I started
> looking for solutions and stumbled over this thread:
> http://www.nabble.com/RFC:-OpenAL-Winmm-driver-and-OpenAL32.dll-thunk-was-Re:-OpenAL-and-DirectSound-td7476795.html
>
> I brought the patch up to speed with current Wine to the best of my
> knowledge and pasted it here: http://pastebin.com/f2a559a22
>
> It appears to make sound work flawlessly in at least one OpenAL-based
> game, and I suspect there may be more.
>
> In case this driver adds too much of a support/code overhead, would it
> be possible to add it as a band-aid, until the problem that prevents the
> other back-ends from working with Clear Sky is fixed?
>
> Thanks for your comments.
>
>  --feep
>
> PS: No I'm not running Pulseaudio :)

There is nothing really wrong with a openal32 -> libopenal wrapper but a winmm openal driver isn't that useful. The reason is that since openal in general just uses oss and alsa (yes on creative cards there is a decent backend) which illustrates that our current oss/alsa plugins can offer similar performance. It is just that various parts aren't very optimal at the moment and adding a winmm openal driver is a workaround and leads to another half baked solution (like esd, jack, nas ..).

Roderick
--
Sensationsangebot verlängert: GMX FreeDSL - Telefonanschluss + DSL
für nur 16,37 Euro/mtl.!* http://dsl.gmx.de/?ac=OM.AD.PD003K1308T4569a