Sugestion to Wine

Paul Chitescu paulc at voip.null.ro
Thu Jun 18 05:32:04 CDT 2009

On Thursday 18 June 2009 04:35:27 Sérgio R. da Silva wrote:
> Hello to all developers of wine.
> My name is Sergio R. da Silva, and I sent some suggestions to improve the
> wine.
> First of all I apologize for any errors in spelling, because I am Brazilian
> and I do not know very well and I write in English using Google Translator
> to send these suggestions and also send the wrong address, if possible
> please move to the correct department or send me an email where I send my
> suggestions.
> Here are my suggestions:
> 1) I suggest that in the file. Conf of wine is possible to configure other
> extensions without the DLL, such as OCX, EXE, CAB, etc.. or create a tab to
> add these extensions, this flap could be close to the tab "Libraries" and
> could be called "Extensions"
> which add extensions without which DLL that windows USA, such as. CAB,. ini
> (boot.ini). bat (autoexec.bat). msc (gpedit.msc). config,. sys (
> pagefile.sys, etc.).
> This is my first suggestion will soon send more.
> PS: If you have any questions about my suggestion is just send me an email
> sergiordasilva17 at gmail.com

Sergio,

If you look closely at the list of DLL overrides you will see some files that
have an explicit extension (.cpl, .ocx, .acm). Moreover, any file name can be
entered manually if needed, including .exe or .sys or whatever is required.

Only files that can be loaded (have ELF or PE structure) make sense in
overrides so it doesn't make sense to add any .ini, .cab, .msi, .bat, .cmd or
similar (including pagefile.sys which is not a driver - just happens that it
has that name).

Are you trying to find a way to blacklist arbitrary data files? Hide them from
directory listing or file operations? This is a confusion generating and
dangerous path.

Regards,

Paul