Patch to fix bug 17619 - GetDriveTypeW reporting C: as a network share if /home is an NFS share

Ben Klein shacklein at
Sun Mar 8 04:51:53 CDT 2009

2009/3/8 Forest Hale <lordhavoc at>:
> I happen to agree with that sentiment, but Wine creates ~/.wine/drive_c and configures it as C:, for the sake of all common users this is correct.
> To force C: to be a fixed drive is not harmful in any case I can think of.
> It does not help if you set up wine with an installation in another drive letter, but that is a separate issue.
> Francois Gouget wrote:
>> On Fri, 6 Mar 2009, Forest Hale wrote:
>>> Fixed GetDriveTypeW to always report C: as DRIVE_FIXED, preventing problems with the Steam installer if /home is a network share or other special mount.
>>> +    if (root && (root[0] == 'C' || root[0] == 'c')) return DRIVE_FIXED;
>> I think you should not hardcode the c: drive here. Something based on
>> GetSystemDirectory(), GetWindowsDirectory() or one of their relatives
>> would be better (not sure exactly which should be used).

I'm not sure kernel32 is the right place for this test though. I've
started a discussion about the same basic idea in mountmgr.sys instead
... There's still a little bit of question on whether forcing C: to
DRIVE_FIXED is correct :)