Wiki challenge question on user account creation

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 18:46:08 CDT 2009

2009/3/11 Ben Klein <shacklein at gmail.com>:
> 2009/3/12 David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com>:

>> Reasons for picking Moin are typically:
>> Reasons for picking MediaWiki are typically:

> Moin is sounding better to me so far. Less overhead is good.
> Generally, people pick a Wiki that Just Works (TM). Unfortunately,
> they pretty much all do, so there's no absolute "this is better". The
> existence of so many different Wiki systems is testament to that.

Well, yeah. Has anyone given a good reason to move from Moin? I can
read the wiki and write stuff in it OK.

>> I did a move at work from Moin to MediaWiki, on the intranet wiki ten
>> of us use all day every day. Our reason was that our Moin wiki was
>> just somehow not as usable as we wanted from a wiki, so we gave
>> MediaWiki a go and it was good enough to bother moving engines. Also,
>> the Moin wiki was full of outdated rubbish, so this was a handy excuse
>> to start over.

> "somehow not as usable" isn't a strong argument either. Specifically
> what issues do you have with Moin, and are they present on
> wiki.winehq.org?

None. You appear to be reading something that I didn't write.

>>> Number of new users is not necessarily proportional to number of new
>>> spammers. Do we actually have a problem with spam on the Wiki?
>> If there is, I'll hereby put my hand up to help.

> You were implying that there IS a problem with spammers. I see a
> request elsewhere on wine-devel to have an IP blocked, so that's one
> spammer out of how many new users?

Er, I didn't state that wiki.winehq.org has a problem with spammers -
I asked if there was, *in the text you actually quoted*. Again, you
appear to be reading things I didn't write at all, even while quoting
what I did. Your communications are confusing, please make them less
so.

- d.