DIB Engine : Almost 100% working

Roderick Colenbrander thunderbird2k at gmail.com
Sun May 10 13:14:23 CDT 2009

On Sun, May 10, 2009 at 8:03 PM, Massimo Del Fedele <max at veneto.com> wrote:
> Roderick Colenbrander ha scritto:
>

>> Unfortunately getting this code into Wine is not really possible
>> (Alexandre would like to see Huw finishing the design and all the work
>> but no time has been assigned to him for this) BUT I think work on
>> this DIB engine even if it won't make it in Wine isn't wasted. This
>> DIB engine even if not correct shows us what apps can benefit and by
>> how much from the dib engine (before we only had guesses). If running
>> photoshop on Wine is significantly faster using the DIB engine (it
>> might be useful to do tests for that, there are ways to benchmark
>> photoshop) Codeweavers might work on it.
>>
>> Roderick
>>

> I'm (and not just me, afaik....) still very, very but really very curious to
> know *which*
> would be the "correct" design....
> BTW, I made my design because I needed it, and I'm happy if it'll be useful
> for some
> other people, quite probable stuff having seen the amount of words wasted
> about the
> subject from year 2002.
> Anyways, if instead of having it as an "alternative" solution inside wine
> tree
> (which would make stuffs easier for people needing it, for example cad
> users) we want
> to let it hanging on bug 421's page hoping to have the "right" solution in a
> bit less
> than another 7 years, ok :-)
>
> Max

Interpreting Alexandre his words Huw his design was the right way to
continue (according to Jeremy he had worked on this for 4-5 months)
but even for Huw it would take a similar amount of time to finish it.
They didn't know well if continuing with the work was worth it for the
apps they had to get working and during a discussion at Wineconf they
also weren't certain for which apps it would help and more important
by how much (e.g. time is also fixing a lot issues as we are getting
faster CPUs all the time). With your patches (even if they aren't
clean and won't 100% correctly) we see how much a DIB engine (even
unoptimized) can already help. Basically a lot of users should test it
using different programs. We need benchmark results e.g. photoshop
benchmarks and others.

If the DIB engine appears to do wonders for lots of apps (e.g.
photoshop, office ...) then some company might sponsor Codeweavers to
work on this.

Roderick