Running server applications under Wine?

Sir Gallantmon ngompa13 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 12:21:03 CST 2009

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 12:11 PM, Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 9:57 AM, Sir Gallantmon <ngompa13 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> There has long been talk of doing that.  Linus is
> >> even willing to take patches to implement win32 APIs
> >> in the linux kernel.
> >> But it turns out to not be what most people need.
> >
> > What do you mean by that? Wouldn't it be a good idea to be able to
> support
> > some parts of Wine in the kernel level to be more efficient?
>
> Of course.  It's just hard, and it isn't needed for the things
> we tend to use Wine for at the moment.  Somebody actually
> had a shot at implementing this back in 2000, see
> http://lwn.net/2000/0914/a/lt-wine.php3
> And that work lives on, it seems, as a part of
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_Unified_Kernel
> So go try it out if you like (although I'm not sure
> how safe it is for production).
>
> I think the Wine team doesn't need to worry about
> that stuff; we have our hands full just making the
> win32 userland work well.
> - Dan

I would think that maybe the work Wine does for Direct3D could be moved into
a state tracker for Gallium, that way it shouldn't be necessary to convert
from Direct3D to OpenGL to make it work. I doubt Direct3D and OpenGL include
equivalents for everything, so it might be a good idea to have for a SoC
project to hook up Wine's D3D implementation into Gallium.