Participation in GSoC

"Alexander N. Sørnes" alex at thehandofagony.com
Wed Apr 7 07:26:09 CDT 2010

Hello,

I'm a student interested in participating in Google's Summer of Code.
This isn't my first mail to the wine-devel list; I was a GSoC
partiicpant in 2007, where I worked on WIne's WordPad clone. I have also
done some work on the AppDB as well as minor bug fixes and lately a
(little) work on some dsound tests. Other, non-Wine related code I've
written include work with low-level keyboard hoo

There are a few projects I have in mind. I've had a look at the Wiki,
and both 'Implementing the Internet Explorer GUI' and working on the
Control Panel applets seem like interesting projects. Have any students
applied for these yet? My only COM experience so far has been
implementing a few stubs for DirectPlay, as well as some dsound tests:

http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-patches/2010-February/084748.html
http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-patches/2010-February/084881.html

As for my own project ideas, I think it would have been interesting to
implement IPX over TCP in winsock, since most of the games that use IPX
require root access for it to work. This feature could perhaps be
enabled in winecfg or the Control Panel. I don't have any experience
with networkking, though, so I'm concerned that this might be a bit
amibitous.

I would appreciate feedback of any kind, and yes, I know that time is
running out with respect to the application deadline :)

Regards,

Alexander N. Sørnes