Please report mcicda (CDROM audio) test results

Jeff Zaroyko jeffzaroyko at gmail.com
Thu Aug 5 05:57:58 CDT 2010

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 6:39 PM,  <Joerg-Cyril.Hoehle at t-systems.com> > Hi,

> Jeff Zaroyko wrote:
>>mcicda.c:355: Test failed: PLAY from 1 notify: MCIERR_HARDWARE
>>mcicda: 90 tests executed (0 marked as todo, 14 failures), 0 skipped.
>
> All failures are explained by your drive's inability to play any piece
> of music from the CD in your system. PLAY fails, causing other tests to fail.
> Why you'll have to investigate.
> Did that machine ever play music from an audio CD?

Yes, VLC plays from an audio CD without issue, in addition it also
works with Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II demo, which plays cd music
(despite there being no audio cd for the demo).

> An updated patch with one new bug is at
> https://testbot.winehq.org/JobDetails.pl?Key=4314
> mcicda.c:181: Test failed: GETDEVCAPS 4001: MCIERR_UNSUPPORTED_FUNCTION
> I've added a skip when PLAY returns an error.
> Native MCICDA does not perform a lot of error checking, e.g.
> "status c current track" returns 1 when there's no disk in drive.

The data+audio cd as previously used:

mcicda.c:181: Test failed: GETDEVCAPS 4001: MCIERR_UNSUPPORTED_FUNCTION
mcicda.c:243: Test failed: info 2flags: 0=NOERROR
mcicda.c:307: track #1 length 76134ms
mcicda.c:372: Tests skipped: Got no mixed data+audio CD.
mcicda.c:389: Test failed: PLAY from 1 notify: MCIERR_HARDWARE
mcicda.c:392: Tests skipped: Cannot manage to play track 1.
mcicda: 57 tests executed (0 marked as todo, 3 failures), 2 skipped.

The same audio cd as used previously which has audio only:

mcicda.c:181: Test failed: GETDEVCAPS 4001: MCIERR_UNSUPPORTED_FUNCTION
mcicda.c:243: Test failed: info 2flags: 0=NOERROR
mcicda.c:307: track #1 length 252067ms
mcicda.c:372: Tests skipped: Got no mixed data+audio CD.
mcicda.c:389: Test failed: PLAY from 1 notify: MCIERR_HARDWARE
mcicda.c:392: Tests skipped: Cannot manage to play track 1.
mcicda: 57 tests executed (0 marked as todo, 3 failures), 2 skipped.

Indeed, the tests don't produce any audio.

> Things you can try out using the interactive MCI shell:
> open cdaudio alias c
> status c type track 1
> set c time format tmsf
> seek c to start
> play c from 1 to 2 wait

This works - I hear music.  After playing the first track to
completion and waiting a minute, it hasn't returned to accepting input
here, so I've ^C.