Patch feedback requested for OleCreatePropertyFrame()

Roderick Colenbrander thunderbird2k at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 13:52:51 CST 2010

On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 7:18 PM, Geoffrey Hausheer
<winedevel9605 at phracturedblue.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 9:06 AM, Wolfram Sang  wrote:
>>> task.  There doesn't appear to be anything in this code that would be
>>> patent encumbered, but the code itself certainly falls under
>>> Hidenori's copyright which he has effectively revoked permission to
>>> use.
>>
>> Strictly speaking, this is not possible. Although IANAL, this code is LGPL,
>> so he can't revoke permission for this version of the code. He can ask to
>> not use it, and this wish can be granted. You still should be allowed to
>> pick it up. Next question is then, if a modified version will be picked up
>> (still respecting the author's wish)? Or how much modifications are needed?
>> Geez, such things are never trivial :(
>>

> Well, I put the LGPL header on the code.  I thought I had that right
> since the code was posted to wine-patches  Anyhow, the legal side
> isn't really relevant.  The question is what Alexandre will accept as
> far as it goes.  The current code is certainly copyright by Hienori,
> and since I couldn't contact him, I must assume he doesn't want any of
> it in Wine.  Thus my assumption is that I need to rewrite the entire
> thing, if we want to obey his wishes (which I do).  However, my hope
> was that I could use the knowledge I gained from his implementation to
> do it myself.  As I'm already biased by that knowledge, if that won't
> be allowed, then I can't do the work at all.

As far as I remember Hidenori asked for removal of his Quartz work
because he was affright of patents, Microsoft. He didn't ask for
removal of his other code (perhaps he did in a private mail) but I
think Alexandre also removed his other code because it is not worth to
take any risks.

Recently we had a case which is a little bit similar. In that case
someone wrote some dirty tests to figure out what Windows was doing
and used that knowledge to write Wine code. The code in question was
rejected but the guy also wasn't allowed to use his knowledge to
submit a wine test.

I'm quite certain that you can't resubmit Hidenori's code because it
was removed for a good reason. I'm not sure about tests though but I
guess we don't want to take any risks with that either :( Wait for
Alexandre his answer though.

Roderick