Wine on cygwin now compiles!

Steven Edwards winehacker at
Mon Jun 28 12:05:22 CDT 2010

On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 4:59 AM, Aleksey Bragin <aleksey at> wrote:
> Is there any real, practical interest in Wine on Windows?

For doing a full port, other than the argument of climbing the
mountain because it's there, I doubt it.

> I've been making some progress in this direction recently (though I think my
> approach would be to have a ported, NT-version of wineserver.exe which just
> uses native functions of the OS instead of emulating them over cygwin, which
> emulates those features using its own code once again; discussable anyway).

I think as we have discussed before, taking arwinss, or at least the
core parts of it and attempting to make an independent subsystem that
runs under Windows has value. I believe there is a worthwhile product
based upon your work with arwinss using Wine user32/gdi32/x11drv with
the rest of the Windows stack to support remotely displaying Win32
applications over X11 to OS X, Solaris and Linux clients.

Steven Edwards