Change Journal and VSS analog in Wine

Michael Stefaniuc mstefani at redhat.com
Wed Mar 3 07:01:32 CST 2010

Dmitry Konnov wrote:
> MS> well I would phrase that differently: the backend that collects and
> MS> restores the data from the filesystem needs to be a native application.
>
> but Change Journal is ntdll.dll DeviceIoControl with certain
> options call.
No. It is a functionality of the NTFS filesystem. If you call change
journal on a FAT volume or on a CDROM the call will fail. MacOSX uses
the HFS+ filesystem. So if you want something like change journal you'll
have to implement it in the MacOSX filesystem aka kernel. Even if
you/Apple get that done it is still a stupid idea to use a Windows
backup program in Wine to backup the host system; there are other
features of the host system that to not map to the Windows world and
thus would get lost during the backup/restore process.

> Does Wine implement ntdll.dll?
You could have checked that yourself by downloading the Wine source...
http://source.winehq.org/source/dlls/ntdll/

bye
	michael