gdi32: use usp10 to optionally generate glyphs for bidi strings

Alexandre Julliard julliard at
Fri May 14 09:58:57 CDT 2010

Dmitry Timoshkov <dmitry at> writes:

> Aric Stewart <aric at> wrote:
>>    I know this is not official MSDN documentation but this appears to
>> disagree with you.
>> It also makes sense to have all the complex script processing logic in
>> one place instead of spreading it out and duplicating it.
> Bidi and reordering were supported by gdi32 before Uniscribe has been
> introduced.
> Accridong to
> uniscribe is used by lpk.dll (language packs): "ExtTextOut can be used
> to lay out multilingual Unicode text including complex scripts. There is
> no need for you to do anything other than call ExtTextOut; it handles
> everything for you."

Which of course demonstrates that gdi32 calls usp10 on native too. Maybe
it does it indirectly through lpk.dll, but the end result is the same,
you have a dependency on usp10.

Alexandre Julliard
julliard at