Sound on TestBot

Greg Geldorp ggeldorp at
Fri Sep 17 08:55:58 CDT 2010

> From: Jörg Höhle
> Hopefully Francois Gouget will update his vmware machines with these
> drivers (or the ones Paul Vriens' uses) so that the timeouts will
> Earlier this year, Julius Schwartzenberg found out that the timeouts in
> winmm tests on vmware could be avoided by installing another driver.

Note that most people probably use VMware Workstation. Workstation emulates
SoundBlaster (I think?) card, so there's actually virtual hardware in there.
This means you can install a normal SoundBlaster driver, the driver will
commands to the virtual hardware device which are then picked up by the
Workstation virtual hardware layer.

TestBot uses (mostly) VMware ESX VMs, which do not have virtual hardware
for sound. The sound drivers I'm adding to the ESX VMs are pure virtual
there's no (virtual) hardware below them.