Translating a same message used in different contexts

Akihiro Sagawa sagawa.aki at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 09:51:46 CST 2011

On Thu, 20 Jan 2011, Francois Gouget wrote:
(snipped)
> I believe that in French the IDS_DESKTOPDIRECTORY is supposed to
> get translated. I'm not 100% this happens in Wine but on Windows I
> do get a path of the form 'c:\Documents and Settings\foo\Bureau' so in
> Wine I'd expect something like 'c:\users\foo\Bureau' too.
>
> Does Windows do it differently for Japanese?
> Or is the problem that the translation differs because of the context?

Unfortunately, the answer is yes.

There are three styles in user profile directory name.
 1.Windows NT 4 style, e.g. C:\Windows\Profile\<name>.
 2.Windows 2000 style, e.g. C:\Documents and Settings\<name>.
 3.Windows Vista style, e.g. C:\Users\<name>.

In Japanese Windows, desktop directory name has following
characteristics.
 1.In Windows NT 4, localized with half-width katakana.
 2.In Windows 2000, localized with full-width katakana.
 3.In Windows Vista, no localization about directory name.

Japanese version of Windows XP is the second one. The desktop folder
path is C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\XXXXXX (where X is a Katakana
characer). In this case, desktop directory name and its display name are
same.

But Wine uses the third style (Vista style) as of the commit 853d9938
against shellpath.c. Hence I'd like to adapt a desktop directory name to
user profile directory style, I kept IDS_DESKTOPDIRECTORY untranslated
though I translated IDS_DESKTOP message.

So in French (or any other language), are there no differences between
directory name and display name, especially in Vista?

Akihiro Sagawa