winecfg: Remove driver selection from Audio tab.

Michael Stefaniuc mstefani at redhat.com
Tue Sep 27 13:17:15 CDT 2011

On 09/27/2011 03:20 AM, Vitaliy Margolen wrote:
> On 09/26/2011 09:10 AM, Andrew Eikum wrote:
>> On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 04:50:22PM +0200,
>> Joerg-Cyril.Hoehle at t-systems.com wrote:
>>> I'm not satisfied with the removal of the audio tree from winecfg.
>>> Beside allowing to switch or disable drivers, one key feature was to
>>> allow inspecting the devices that winmm found on this system.
>>
>> The goal of that patch, like the subject says, was to remove driver
>> selection. Obviously a side-effect of removing that entire tree was
>> removing the list of detected devices. I personally don't really see
>> the use of listing the detected devices, which is why I just removed
>> the tree wholesale.
>>
>> If folks find the device list useful, I wouldn't be at all opposed to
>> adding it again in some form (obviously it would use MMDevAPI directly
>> instead of WinMM like the old code... except for MIDI devices, I
>> guess). I am opposed to adding the driver selection functionality back
>> in, though.
>>
>> Andrew
>>

> Could we please wait another week (until after the wineconf) before
> doing these whole sale changes?
>
> Please leave sound system and related winecfg code as-is.
Why?

Come to think of it this would be the right time to do it:
- We are at the start of the commit period for 1.3.30
- People will be busy traveling to/from WineConf so a regression won't
halt their work.
- Andrew won't travel so he can fix regressions.
- We can directly motivate Andrew to fix those regressions "Oh,
regressions still open? No dinner for you tonight!".

bye
	michael