Fwd: Ubuntu 12.04 (version#2, drop previous mail)

Scott Ritchie scott at open-vote.org
Mon Apr 30 23:03:46 CDT 2012

On 4/30/12 2:17 AM, GOUJON Alexandre wrote:
> On 04/29/2012 10:44 PM, Eric Pouech wrote:
>> for the devels having upgraded their boxes to ubuntu 12.04, here's a
>> couple of stuff I had to do, especially to get 32bit wine compile
> That's funny because I just tried yesterday and filed [1] to see what
> developers think.
> They are aware of the issue but will need some time to fix it.
>
> What I discovered is that installing gcc:i386 on amd64 doesn't mean what
> we think.
> It replaces the (amd64) gcc and wants to remove gcc and build-esential
> (and others).
> What we want is gcc-multilib which provides libc6-dev-i386.
> The other way also exists with libc6-dev-amd64:i386 (compiling programs
> targeting amd64 from a i386 computer)
>
> For the other issues, I guess we'll have to file as many bug as packages
> which are not multiarch-able.
> (I don't know how to say it, hope you get the idea)

Yes, this would be prudent.  Tag them multiarch too.  It's the next
phase of the multiarch transition (there are a few lingering packages
that aren't properly multiarch as well.

It's a good chunk of work, as we have to go package by package and
identify if they:

1) Have architecture-specific strings in the -dev stuff
2) Move them into arch-specific folders when appropriate
3) Move files that aren't arch-specific into -common packages that are
arch:all
4) Tag the resulting package multiarch: same
5) Send changes back to Debian (which is still in the multiarch bronze age)

Thanks,
Scott Ritchie