Hi Res Icons

Joel Holdsworth joel at airwebreathe.org.uk
Wed Apr 3 04:22:59 CDT 2013

Hi Alexandre (+ Others),

I notice you've been working on hi-res icons. I just have a couple of
comments to chip in.

So 2 years ago when I was doing the wine icon refresh, I decided not
to try and tackle the problem of hi-res icons. Just getting the normal
sized icons merged had proved to be a gargantuan task that took me
over a year to complete - I didn't have the stomach to embark on
another round of artwork. We also didn't support PNG icons in those days.

As you can see in these hi-res icon patches, scaling icons is never as
simple as people think.

http://source.winehq.org/git/wine.git/blob/HEAD:/programs/iexplore/iexplore.svg

As you can see here, scaling the iexplore icons really shows the
limits of this artwork. The line caps are wrong in several places. The
worst being in the highlight of the yellow swoosh at the bottom - you
see the highlight doesn't line up with the border. A lot of things
don't quite line up correctly.

Moreover what were sharp single pixel lines in the 48x48 image have
become fat strokes, which look rather play-schoolish to my eye.

The solution is to have dedicated artwork specifically for these large
sizes. This has been done in the Mango icon project:

http://jimmac.musichall.cz/i.php?i=MIME2
http://jimmac.musichall.cz/i.php?i=git3
http://jimmac.musichall.cz/i.php?i=Tango-NG

This is the work of Jakub Steiner and Lapo Calamandrei. They did a
workshop on how to do this artwork here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T7833s2MJI

Notice the fine detailing and beautiful shading. In the network filter
they even used a paper texture for the card of the folder! These guys
have done a fantastic job.

So I wanted to sound out how much desire there is for this for Wine.

I'm probably not going to be able to contribute this myself, due to
time constraints. I wondered if there were any other developers cum
artists interested in having a go.

2 years ago I asked Jakub if he would be interested in doing this, but
he said he was quite busy. It might be worth reaching out to him or
Lapo again, to see if they'd like to contribute.

Also, I don't know how much this work is being driven by CodeWeavers
Mac product, but another approach would be to for CodeWeavers to
solicit contract work or a bounty for this. Jakub or Lapo might be
more able to make time on those terms - but of course I don't know if
that's a deal they or CodeWeavers would be interested in making.

Another source of volunteers might be the tango-artists ML, but I
don't know how many there are there.

Finally, I've rebased my patch for the joy.cpl icon. It doesn't have a
256px icon though. Is this wanted?

Best Regards
Joel Holdsworth