Main sources of Wine complexity

Vincent Povirk madewokherd at gmail.com
Mon Jun 10 11:35:06 CDT 2013

You may want to look into libwapi, which is a small library bundled in
the Mono source code that provides implementations of some Windows API
functions, which are simple but lacking features/compatibility.
Synchronization objects are local to the process, and there are no
drive letters, for example (though some optional path translation is
available, I believe). Between that and individual functions of Wine,
you may be able to cover most of what you need.

Windows applications can be very picky about behavior of the API, so
such an approach can't work for us, and it gets especially complicated
when you need graphics, windowing, or COM marshaling.