gdiplus/tests: Skip the tests if unable to load the TIFF image.

Dmitry Timoshkov dmitry at baikal.ru
Mon Mar 4 10:42:13 CST 2013

Francois Gouget <fgouget at codeweavers.com> wrote:

> > > The goal of the Wine tests is to document the Windows behavior that
> > > Windows applications expect.
> >
> > Skipping a test because your VM is broken doesn't qualify as a documentation
> > of Windows behaviour.
>
> The VM is not broken so the skip is ok (thanks for not bringing anything
> new to the table: it means I don't have to update my answer which makes
> this simpler).

A test is supposed to pass on a not broken Windows XP configuration,
otherwise there wouldn't much point in creating the test.

> > I don't think that you have resources and intention to have Windows VMs with
> > all possible pre/post SP/hotfixes configurations.
>
> I certainly intend to make it possible for Wine developers to run their
> tests on most significant Windows configurations and that includes each
> service pack and Internet Explorer version. It's not as resource
> intensive as you seem to think (*). Now that's different from the set of
> Windows configurations that every Wine patch will be run on. That will
> be a subset decided by the community.

My concern is not about computer resources, I'm sure you have plenty of
spare CPU cycles to burn. The concern is about how far are you planning
to go, and time it takes to manage. Microsoft releases hotfixes 1-2 times
in a month, are you inteding to have VMs for every possible state of
SPs+hotfixes? There are already some distinct things in each Windows VM
to warry about (video, sound, locale, CD, etc.), so it becomes pretty
critical to make wise decisions about what configurations you consider
as major, and which of them you really want to manage.

--
Dmitry.