winecfg: improve user experience by adding all Windows versions and accompanying error message

Jason Overland jasonoverland at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 21:27:49 CDT 2015

On 04/03/2015 12:05 PM, Andrew Eikum wrote:
> I don't know Wine's policy about referring to documentation not included in Wine itself. It strikes me that the FAQ may be updated at some point, making this message incorrect. That's why I typed out that long message in my earlier reply. Maybe we prefer a shorter message with the Wiki link? I don't know.

I see advantages and limitations to both approaches.  I'm not really sure which is best.  The main reason I didn't use your longer message is because I was uncomfortable telling the user to delete their prefix, even with the message afterwards saying "this will delete all your stuff".  I can just imagine someone reading the first part, deleting their prefix, saying "What happened??", THEN reading the second part of the message.  I could probably modify the message to not include the deleting, i.e. tell them to rename their existing prefix or something.

Another approach would be to merely tell the user that the prefix they're using doesn't work with the version of Windows they've selected, and let them figure out the rest.  After all the initial reason I made this patch was because it was unclear to me why the older non-64 bit Windows versions weren't there, not because I wanted to educate people on how to manage prefixes.

As far as Wine policy goes, if you don't know it, I certainly don't know it :)