USB Support

Uwe Bonnes bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de
Wed Apr 29 03:58:38 CDT 2015

    Steve> I got into this because I'm writing firmware for a custom USB
    Steve> device to use in an embedded Linux system and the vendor tools
    Steve> are only available for Windows. Sigh. And of course Wine handles
    Steve> everything fine *except* the USB snooping. I've spent my entire
    Steve> professional life working the in Unix workstation & HPC world
    Steve> staring with PDP-11 and later VAX "boot me" tapes from Bell Labs
    Steve> / Western Electric. I think the last time I had to write a
    Steve> Windows GUI app was when the original Windows 95 was released :-(
    Steve> So I'm woefully out of date on Windows.

    Steve> Uwe Bonnes made this comment in another email:

    Steve> "Newer usb devices often use winusb for usb communication. A
    Steve> translation dll winusb->libusb is thinkable. However the problem
    Steve> of device detection remains."

    Steve> Crawling through /sys and /proc or writing a device driver shim I
    Steve> think I can handle, Displaying the information or adding it to
    Steve> the registry is is murky (to me) which is why I'm looking at such
    Steve> a bass-ackwards approach.

Probably the USB device handling is devided into a DLL for USB access and
the programm itself using the DLL. Perhaps the DLL API is public or you may
get it with some kind of NDA from the vendor. In that case writing a
replacement DLL is also an option. This is not generic at all, but may solve
your problem.

Bye

Uwe Bonnes                bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de