Wine developer frustration (was Re: ntdll: Improve stub of NtQueryEaFile.)

Erich E. Hoover erich.e.hoover at wine-staging.com
Wed Jun 17 13:13:20 CDT 2015

On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 11:05 AM, Caron Wills <caron at codeweavers.com> wrote:
> I believe that Rosanne makes a valid point: It's hard for users to know where to file a bug.

We would be open to having a separate product on WineHQ so that people
can easily move a bug to being our responsibility. We originally
decided for a separate bug tracker because after talking to several
people, we got the impression that they would prefer this solution.
Its really unfortunate when people are still reporting bugs at the
wrong place, especially because we have this huge Wine Staging warning
on process startup and replaced all bug reporting urls (manpage and
crash dialog).

> In the threads about Wine-Staging on wine-devel, it's apparent that the Fedora team was discouraged from doing this but on the Wine-Staging landing page it feels more like a selling point. I understand the importance of stating the above in a positive way but I wonder if this statement isn't a little over the top.

I think that’s a fair point, how would you feel about "We provide
packages for a lot of distributions and some of them even include Wine
Staging directly into their repositories.” ? (no next sentence)

> Wine-Staging is no more evil than the rest of us and at least from my point of view, we're all here to make a positive difference in Wine.

At work I recently learned about the volleyball concept of a Libero,
whose role is to make sure that no ball touches the ground.  I feel
that wine-staging has a similar purpose, our role is to make sure that
no patch gets left behind and the knowledge behind it gets lost.
Patches get forgotten for a variety of reasons (lack of time, lack of
interest, frustration with our high quality standards, etc.) and I
think we serve an important role in getting these patches tested,
vetted, fixed, and upstreamed.

It really concerns me that people are upset with what we’ve been
doing, as I feel that we provide a vital role in the Wine community.
The only thing that I can think of to explain this situation is that
at some point there’s been some sort of miscommunication.  I really
appreciate the concrete suggestion here, if anyone has other concerns
that they’d like to address with us then I’d be happy to hear them.

Best,
Erich