Google Summer of Code 2015

Matteo Bruni matteo.mystral at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 11:10:32 CDT 2015

> Hello Matteo,

Hi Alexey,

> I'm the last year student of Moscow institute.
> I found you as possible mentors in project ideas. And I want to implement
> missing APIs in D3DX (math and/or mesh functions).

Cool!

> So, I have a question: do I need to do some task or you will choose students
> for this project from their proposal?

Yes, you will have to write a proposal in Melange (i.e. the GSoC
website) and have submitted at least one patch to wine-patches to be
considered for acceptance.

I suggest you to download Wine's source code, build it and give a look
at the D3DX code (both the implementation of the existing functions
and the tests, that's in dlls/d3dx9_36/ and the tests/ subdirectory
within). Then it might be a good idea to try to run some game using
d3dx on Wine, you can e.g. search bugs.winehq.org to find some. You
can then try to implement one of the missing functions and see how
it's like.

Eventually you'll have to choose a set of the missing APIs you want to
work on during your GSoC and write a suitable proposal. You'll get
feedback on it and you'll be able to update it so don't worry on
getting it exactly right on the first try.

If you have further questions don't hesitate to ask. It's much better
if you also include wine-devel at winehq.org in cc the next times, others
might be able to reply faster / better than me. There is also the
#winehackers IRC channel on freenode available.

> I have strong knowledge in math and have experience in commercial software
> developing.

That's good. Make sure to write that in your proposal :)