gdi32: Improve detection of symbol charset for old truetype fonts.

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.org
Wed Nov 18 21:29:10 CST 2015

Sebastian Lackner <sebastian at fds-team.de> writes:

> So, what kind of patches are acceptable during the freeze period? If we are too
> strict, basically only minor cleanup is possible. I still have various patches I
> would like to send (x86_64 marshalling, ...), but a small risk of regressions is
> always there.

Acceptable patches are the ones where the risk of adding a regression is
considered smaller than the benefit that the patch provides. That's a
subjective judgment based on past experience, so there's no hard and
fast rule. But if the patch is more than a few lines, or touches an area
that's known to be prone to regressions, it's not likely to go in.

I'm also willing to be convinced, so if you can explain why you think
that the patch is safe, or why you think the benefits are big enough,
that helps. But of course, because it's subjective, there will always be
cases where we have to agree to disagree.

Code freeze is not about achieving perfection, it's about best
effort. Even if a patch doesn't get into 1.8, the important thing is
that we have taken the time to develop a fix. If that fix turns out to
be too risky, that's not the end of the world, it will go into the
development branch, and if it turns out that it was safe after all, it
can then be backported to 1.8.x.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.org