RFC: Hybrid (wineserver / process-local) native semaphores

Stefan Dösinger stefandoesinger at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 07:10:56 CDT 2015

> Am 10.09.2015 um 19:53 schrieb Daniel Santos <daniel.santos at pobox.com>:
>
> I haven't looked at the CSMT patchset yet, but just doing a diff | grep on it I don't see any reference to critical sections, mutexes or semaphores, so I'm not sure what mechanisms its using for synchronization. So far I've only done this for semaphores. After I nail down the threadpool test failure I'm planning to do mutexes next.
I'm not using any of that myself, mostly because it's too slow. My synchronization is mainly busy waiting, although I do wait for an event after a *lot* of spinning. The purpose of this is to prevent an unused d3d device from eating an entire CPU core.

However, some games use those synchronization APIs a lot...